TAUTOG SS 199

From NavalCoverMuseum
Jump to navigation Jump to search


Ship Name and Designation History

This section lists the names and designations that the ship had during its lifetime. The list is in chronological order.

    Tambor Class Submarine
    Keel Laid 1 March 1939 - Launched 27 January 1940

  1. USS TAUTOG SS-199
    Commissioned 3 July 1940 - Decommissioned 8 December 1945

    Assigned to Naval Reserve Training Center, Milwaukee, WI. from 1947-59
    Struck from Naval Register 11 September 1959
    Sold 15 November 1959 for scrap
TAUTOG 199 PATCH.jpg

Naval Covers

This section lists active links to the pages displaying covers associated with the ship. There should be a separate set of pages for each incarnation of the ship (ie, for each entry in the "Ship Name and Designation History" section). Covers should be presented in chronological order (or as best as can be determined).

Since a ship may have many covers, they may be split among many pages so it doesn't take forever for the pages to load. Each page link should be accompanied by a date range for covers on that page.

  1. USS Tautog SS-199 Cover Page 1    (1940-1945)

 

Postmarks

This section lists examples of the postmarks used by the ship. There should be a separate set of postmarks for each incarnation of the ship (ie, for each entry in the "Ship Name and Designation History" section). Within each set, the postmarks should be listed in order of their classification type. If more than one postmark has the same classification, then they should be further sorted by date of earliest known usage.

A postmark should not be included unless accompanied by a close-up image and/or an image of a cover showing that postmark. Date ranges MUST be based ONLY ON COVERS IN THE MUSEUM and are expected to change as more covers are added.
 
>>> If you have a better example for any of the postmarks, please feel free to replace the existing example.


 

Postmark Type
---
Killer Bar Text

Postmark
Date
Thumbnail Link
To
Postmark Image
Thumbnail Link
To
Cover Image

Post Office Established 3 July 1940 - Disestablished 19 April 1943


 

Locy Type
FDC 3r (A-TBT)

"COMMISSION- /
ED TODAY"

1940-07-03

GregCiesielski Tautog SS199 19400703 1 Postmark.jpg
GregCiesielski Tautog SS199 19400703 1 Front.jpg

First Day in Commission, add-on cachet by Alton (Budd) M. Arrington


 

Locy Type
3r (A-TBT)

"MACKEREL /
COMM'D"

1941-03-31

GregCiesielski Tautog SS199 19410331 1 Postmark.jpg
GregCiesielski Tautog SS199 19410331 1 Front.jpg

Commissioning of USS Mackerel SS-204, cachet by Richard Buchwald, sponsored by the Argonauts Crew No. 24, ANCS

 

Other Information

USS TAUTOG earned the Combat Action Ribbon, the Navy Unit Commendation Ribbon, the American Defense Campaign Medal, the American Campaign Medal, the Asiatic-Pacific Campaign Medal w/ 14 Battle stars and the World War II Victory Medal during her Naval career.

NAMESAKE - Named for a small edible sport fish, also called blackfish or oysterfish, found on the Atlantic coast of the United States.

The ships sponsor was Mrs. Richard S. Edwards.

Two ships of the US Navy have borne the name TAUTOG - USS Tautog SS-199 and USS Tautog SSN-639

 


 

If you have images or information to add to this page, then either contact the Curator or edit this page yourself and add it. See Editing Ship Pages for detailed information on editing this page.

 


Copyright 2022 Naval Cover Museum