LAFAYETTE COUNTY LST 859
Ship Name and Designation History
This section lists the names and designations that the ship had during its lifetime. The list is in chronological order.
Laid down September 26 1944 - Launched December 15 1944
This section lists active links to the pages displaying covers associated with the ship. There should be a separate set of pages for each name of the ship (for example, Bushnell AG-32 / Sumner AGS-5 are different names for the same ship so there should be one set of pages for Bushnell and one set for Sumner). Covers should be presented in chronological order (or as best as can be determined).
Since a ship may have many covers, they may be split among many pages so it doesn't take forever for the pages to load. Each page link should be accompanied by a date range for covers on that page.
- LST-859 Covers Page 1 (1949)
This section lists examples of the postmarks used by the ship. There should be a separate set of postmarks for each name and/or commissioning period. Within each set, the postmarks should be listed in order of their classification type. If more than one postmark has the same classification, then they should be further sorted by date of earliest known usage.
A postmark should not be included unless accompanied by a close-up image and/or an
image of a cover showing that postmark. Date ranges MUST be based ONLY ON COVERS IN
THE MUSEUM and are expected to change as more covers are added.
>>> If you have a better example for any of the postmarks, please feel free to replace the existing example.
|Thumbnail Link To
|Thumbnail Link To
LST-859 received one battle for World War II service and six battle stars for Korean War service
* Okinawa Gunto operation
Assault and occupation of Okinawa Gunto June 26-30 1945
* North Korean Aggression September 12, 18-19 1950
* Inchon Landing September 13-17 1950
* Second Korean Winter February 7-19 1952, March 13-20 1952, March 31 to April 30 1952
* Korean Defense Summer-Fall 1952, May 1-7 1952, August 10-20 1952, September 3-9 1952, October 11-14 1952, November 12-18 1952, November 30 1952
* Third Korean Winter, December 1-6 and December 13-20 1952, December 31 1952 to January 8 1953, January 18-23 1953, February 13-23 1953, March 3-5 1953 and 14-16 March 1953, April 6-16 1953
* Korean Summer-Fall 1953, May 25-28 1953, June 13-17 and June 25-29 1953, July 16-19 1953
Awards, Citations and Campaign Ribbons...
American Campaign Medal - Asiatic-Pacific Campaign Medal (1) - World War II Victory Medal - National Defense Service Medal - Korean Service Medal (6) - United Nations Service Medal - Republic of Korea War Service Medal (retroactive)
Copyright 2021 Naval Cover Museum