CUMMINGS DD 365

From NavalCoverMuseum
Jump to navigation Jump to search


Ship Name and Designation History

This section lists the names and designations that the ship had during its lifetime. The list is in chronological order.

    Mahan Class Destroyer
    Keel Laid June 26 1934 - Launched December 11 1935

  1. USS CUMMINGS DD-365
    Commissioned November 25 1936 - Decommissioned December 16 1945

    Struck from Naval Register January 28 1947
    Sold July 17 1947 and broken up for scrap

 

Naval Covers

This section lists active links to the pages displaying covers associated with the ship. There should be a separate set of pages for each incarnation of the ship (ie, for each entry in the "Ship Name and Designation History" section). Covers should be presented in chronological order (or as best as can be determined).

Since a ship may have many covers, they may be split among many pages so it doesn't take forever for the pages to load. Each page link should be accompanied by a date range for covers on that page.

  1. USS Cummings DD-365 Covers Page 1    (1936-43)

 

Postmarks

This section lists examples of the postmarks used by the ship. There should be a separate set of postmarks for each incarnation of the ship (ie, for each entry in the "Ship Name and Designation History" section). Within each set, the postmarks should be listed in order of their classification type. If more than one postmark has the same classification, then they should be further sorted by date of earliest known usage.

A postmark should not be included unless accompanied by a close-up image and/or an image of a cover showing that postmark. Date ranges MUST be based ONLY ON COVERS IN THE MUSEUM and are expected to change as more covers are added.
 
>>> If you have a better example for any of the postmarks, please feel free to replace the existing example.


 

Postmark Type
---
Killer Bar Text

Postmark
Date
Thumbnail Link
To
Postmark Image
Thumbnail Link
To
Cover Image

Post Office Established November 25 1936 - Disestablished December 1 1945


 

Locy Type
FDC 3 Nov 25, 1936

"FIRST DAY /
COMMISSION"

1936-11-25

GregCiesielski Cummings DD365 19361125 1 Postmark.jpg
GregCiesielski Cummings DD365 19361125 2 Front.jpg

First Day in Commission, Cachet by Leo A. Schupp


 

Locy Type
3 (A-TTB)

"BROOKLYN /
N. YARD N.Y."

1933-12-22

JonBurdett cummings dd365 19361222r pm.jpg
JonBurdett cummings dd365 19361222.jpg

Note:


 

Locy Type
3b (A-TXB)

"SAN DIEGO /
CALIFORNIA"

1937-12-08

JonBurdett cummings dd365 19371208r pm.jpg
JonBurdett cummings dd365 19371208.jpeg

Note:


 

Locy Type
3 (A-BTT)

1941-04-15

JonBurdett cummings dd365 41541 pm.jpg
JonBurdett cummings dd365 41541.jpg

Note:


 

Locy Type
3z (TTT)

1942-03-14

JonBurdett cummings dd365 19420314r pm.jpg
JonBurdett cummings dd365 19420314.jpg

Add-on Cachet by Bruce D. Liddell


 

Locy Type
9v

1943-07-27

JonBurdett cummings dd365 19430727 pm9.jpg
JonBurdett cummings dd365 19430727.jpg

Mark from back of cover


 

Locy Type
3 (A-TTB)

1937-01-26
to
1937-03-29

GregCiesielski Cummings DD365 19370126 1 Postmark.jpg
GregCiesielski Cummings DD365 19370126 2 Postmark.jpg

Shakedown Cruise Booklet

 

Other Information

CUMMINGS earned 7 Battle Stars (WWII)
* December 7th 1941 at The Pearl Harbor Navy Yard

NAMESAKE - Andrew Boyd Cummings (June 22 1830 - March 18 1863)
Cummings was appointed Midshipman in 1846, but was detached from the Naval Academy the next year for active duty in BRANDYWINE, returning in 1852. During the Civil War, he served with distinction in the West Gulf Blockading Squadron in RICHMOND, participating in the action at Forts Jackson and Saint Philip, La. He showed conspicuous gallantry as the squadron passed the batteries of Fort Hudson, La., March 14-15 1863, and died of wounds received in that action, at New Orleans, March 18 1863

 


 

If you have images or information to add to this page, then either contact the Curator or edit this page yourself and add it. See Editing Ship Pages for detailed information on editing this page.

 


Copyright 2021 Naval Cover Museum