From NavalCoverMuseum
Jump to navigation Jump to search

Ship Name and Designation History

This section lists the names and designations that the ship had during its lifetime. The list is in chronological order.

    Benson Class Destroyer
    Keel Laid January 3 1938 - Launched May 16 1940

    Commissioned September 5 1940 - Decommissioned March 18 1946

    Struck from Naval Register June 1 1969
    Sunk March 26 1969 as target off Virginia


Naval Covers

This section lists active links to the pages displaying covers associated with the ship. There should be a separate set of pages for each incarnation of the ship (ie, for each entry in the "Ship Name and Designation History" section). Covers should be presented in chronological order (or as best as can be determined).

Since a ship may have many covers, they may be split among many pages so it doesn't take forever for the pages to load. Each page link should be accompanied by a date range for covers on that page.

  1. Covers Page 1     (1940-43)



This section lists examples of the postmarks used by the ship. There should be a separate set of postmarks for each incarnation of the ship (ie, for each entry in the "Ship Name and Designation History" section). Within each set, the postmarks should be listed in order of their classification type. If more than one postmark has the same classification, then they should be further sorted by date of earliest known usage.

A postmark should not be included unless accompanied by a close-up image and/or an image of a cover showing that postmark. Date ranges MUST be based ONLY ON COVERS IN THE MUSEUM and are expected to change as more covers are added.
>>> If you have a better example for any of the postmarks, please feel free to replace the existing example.


Postmark Type
Killer Bar Text

Date From
Date To
Thumbnail Link To
Postmark Image
Thumbnail Link To
Cover Image

Post office established October 1 1940 - Disestablished January 31 1946


Locy Type
FDC 3 Oct 15, 1940



First Day in Commission
Al Cohen


Locy Type
FDC 9v


First Day in Commission


Locy Type
FDC 9x


First Day in Commission


Locy Type
3 (A-BBT)



Add-on cachet by Bruce D. Liddell


Locy Type
3z (BTT)





Locy Type


Mark from back of cover


Other Information

CHARLES F. HUGHES earned 4 Battle Stars (WWII)

NAMESAKE - Charles Frederick Hughes USN (October 14 1866 - May 28 1934)
Hughes was appointed to the Naval Academy in 1884. Upon graduation on June 8 1888, he went to the Fleet for the customary two years at sea preceding a commission as an Ensign. He received that commission on July 1 1890, and his promotion to Lieutenant (junior grade) came on April 27 1898. During the Spanish-American War, Lt. (jg.) Hughes fought in Commodore Dewey's Asiatic Squadron. He made Lieutenant on March 3 1899. While serving ashore at the Bureau of Equipment from 1904 to 1906, he became Lt. Comdr. Hughes on July 1 1905. During a tour of duty as recorder for the Board of Inspection and Survey between 1909 and 1911, he received his promotion to Commander. He assumed command of USS BIRMINGHAM Scout Cruiser No. 2 in 1911 and plied the troubled waters along the Mexican gulf coast in her and, later, in command of USS DES MOINES Cruiser No. 15. In 1913, Comdr. Hughes became chief of staff to the Commander, Atlantic Fleet, and served in that capacity during the occupation of Veracruz, Mexico, in the spring of 1914. Promoted to Captain on July 10 1914, he returned to shore duty later that year to serve with the General Board. Capt. Hughes took command of USS NEW YORK BB-34 in October of 1916. His ship served in the American battleship squadron that operated with the Royal Navy's Grand Fleet at Scapa Flow in the Orkney Islands through World War I. Hughes, however, left New York just before the Armistice. On October 10 1918, he was promoted to Rear Admiral. His first assignment as a flag officer was as Commandant at the Philadelphia Navy Yard from late 1918 to 1920. Between 1920 and 1921, Rear Admiral Hughes was Commander, 2d Battleship Squadron, Atlantic Fleet. From the latter part of 1921 to June 25 1923, he commanded Divisions 7 and 4 of the Battle Fleet. Coming ashore again in 1923, he became president of the Naval War College at Newport, R.I., on July 1. A year later, Rear Admiral Hughes moved to the job of Director of Fleet Training. That assignment lasted until October 10 1925. Soon thereafter, Hughes was appointed Commander in Chief, Battle Fleet. On November 14 1927, Admiral Hughes became the fourth man to occupy the office of Chief of Naval Operations. He completed his tour of duty in that post on September 11 1930 and, on October 14 1930, retired to his home in Chevy Chase, Md., where he died on May 28 1934. Admiral Hughes was buried at Arlington National Cemetery



If you have images or information to add to this page, then either contact the Curator or edit this page yourself and add it. See Editing Ship Pages for detailed information on editing this page.


Copyright 2023 Naval Cover Museum