BLUE JACKET T-AF 51
Ship Name and Designation History
This section lists the names and designations that the ship had during its lifetime. The list is in chronological order.
Keel Laid 23 October 1941 as SS Flying Scud
Launched 14 February 1942
Delivered to her operators, United Fruit Co. 25 March 1943
Chartered to Pacific Far East Lines 9 September 1946
Chartered to Black Diamond SS Corp. 9 July 1947
Chartered to War Department 1 October 1948
This section lists active links to the pages displaying covers associated with the ship. There should be a separate set of pages for each name of the ship (for example, Bushnell AG-32 / Sumner AGS-5 are different names for the same ship so there should be one set of pages for Bushnell and one set for Sumner). Covers should be presented in chronological order (or as best as can be determined).
Since a ship may have many covers, they may be split among many pages so it doesn't take forever for the pages to load. Each page link should be accompanied by a date range for covers on that page.
This section lists examples of the postmarks used by the ship. There should be a separate set of postmarks for each name and/or commissioning period. Within each set, the postmarks should be listed in order of their classification type. If more than one postmark has the same classification, then they should be further sorted by date of earliest known usage.
A postmark should not be included unless accompanied by a close-up image and/or an
image of a cover showing that postmark. Date ranges MUST be based ONLY ON COVERS IN
THE MUSEUM and are expected to change as more covers are added.
>>> If you have a better example for any of the postmarks, please feel free to replace the existing example.
The ship had no postal facilities.
USNS BLUE JACKET earned the National Defense Service Medal during her Naval service.
NAMESAKE - A clipper ship which was built at East Boston, Mass., in 1854 and was named for the Shawnee Indian Chief who led his forces against U.S. troops under Gen. Anthony Wayne near Toledo, Ohio, on 20 August 1794.
The ships sponsor was Mrs. Edward U. Read.
If you have images or information to add to this page, then either contact the Curator or edit this page yourself and add it. See Editing Ship Pages for detailed information on editing this page.
Copyright 2023 Naval Cover Museum